Thursday, July 2, 2009

Scripture Speaks

It's been a while since I posted some scripture, too long really. Lately I've been doing a study comparison of the NIV version to The Message, and this morning's reading from The Message really spoke to me. This section in particular:

"What I'm trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving. People who don't know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don't worry about missing out. You'll find all your everyday human concerns will be met.
Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don't get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." Matthew 6:30b-34
Wow, there are several lessons in that reading for me. With respect to writing, it's a confirmation that I need to turn my writing over to Him. That I needn't concern myself with whether or not publication is on the horizon, but rather just do the work as He guides me, and trust that His desires for my stories will be met through diligence.
"God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." That's a powerful statement. God doesn't promise us an easy road, but He does promise to always be there--to help you through the hard things.
If you're fearful that your work will never meet publication standards, take another look at these verses, and especially. "..., to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God's giving." God's given you the gift of writing. Trust that His desire for your writing will be met in His way and His timing. Just be obedient--write on, as He guides you.
If you're fearful of what will be required of you if you do pitch a winning proposal and that's what is keeping you from querying, be confident in knowing that "God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes."
And above all remember this: "Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now" Follow God's reality, initiative, and provisions in all you do, in every moment, and His will is surely to be accomplished!
May we all feel God's guiding force today, and may we surrender to do His will in every moment. Amen.
Surrendering to Him,
Eileen

14 comments:

Wendy Paine Miller said...

I needed this today, thank you!
~ Wendy

MeganRebekah said...

What a beautiful post. It's always necessary to step back and realize how much we're trying to take control when we shouldn't be.

Jessica Nelson said...

Wow, awesome post. Good things for me to gnaw on this morning. My pastor loves to use the Message Bible.
btw, I read the first spouse devotional to hubby the other night. Now everyday I've been thinking, am I a spouse-centered spouse or a God-centered? LOL

Georgiana Daniels said...

The Message really gives the passage a fresh light. Thanks for posting--those are much needed words!

Katie Ganshert said...

Thank you for sharing this, Eileen. Something I definitely needed to hear. I read some of the Message a long time ago. Definitely makes me want to go back and read it again.

Jeannie Campbell, LMFT said...

great message...from THE MESSAGE of all messages, huh? eugene peterson sure did a work of love when he translated the message. this post reminds me of jessica's post on why being unpubbed is like being single. :) don't preoccupy ourselves with getting...and let him give in his time. :)

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Hi Eileen! What a beautiful post! I am reading through the Message this year and have thoroughly enjoyed the perpective and the language. It keeps things fresh. :)

Warren Baldwin said...

These thougths help refocus our minds. Know what I thought of? I planted what little garden I have in big planting buckets I got from a friend and weed-free soil I bought at a store - that way I wouldn't have to worry with weeding. Two days ago a strong north wind blew wild grass seed (don't know what kind, but it comes in on little helicopters) over the wooden fence into my back yard, filling the buckets. I spent time the other day and this morning picking it out. Then I remembered Gen 3 and the struggle with the earth, even if it is in pots! I was mad at nature when I should have been thankful for what blessings God had given me, including the little garden I have, weeds and all. Anyway, isn't it amazing what one piece of writing can prompt in someone else's mind? Good job.

Erica Vetsch said...

Thank you for sharing this today. I sure needed it, especially the prayer.

Susan R. Mills said...

Your post was truly uplifting! Thanks. I definitely needed to hear it!

Warren Baldwin said...

Thanks for visiting Family Fountain and your comments. I didn't receive your critque, but thanks for the comment on the devotionals. The manuscript is ready and sitting on my desk waiting for the editor to call back. I can't believe it is at this point! I want to send you a copy if you'd like, for making frequent visits and comments.

I've meant to tell you, too, that I really like your lead in song on this site. wb

Eileen Astels Watson said...

I'm so glad this passage spoke to so many of us today. God is working and is so very faithful!

Jan Cline said...

thank you for sharing that...it helps me to know that most writers struggle with the same issues and need God's peace to keep going. He is faithful.

Kelly H-Y said...

Thank you! I needed to read this today!