Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Canadian Holiday

I hope you all are having a fabulous day! For my Canadian readers, Happy Canada Day! and for our neighbours south of the border, may you guys have much fun preparing for your July 4th celebration just around the corner.

I was up early this morning to write, and look forward to a day of celebrating with my hubby and youngest daughter. We'll be heading over to Columbia Lake for the celebration festival and catching the fireworks later at night. It should be a fun day if the rain holds off.

What's on your celebration agenda? Ever thought of writing a scene in your books regarding your country's anniversary celebrations? My current story is set in summer, so I could write a Canada Day celebration in this one. Hmmm, now I know what I'll be watching for as the day goes on. Story fodder. What about you?

P.S. Aren't these post-it notes cute? Steena Holmes introduced me to them, they're fun to create and easy too. If you like the concept, check out Superstickies to create your own. I'll be watching to see how fast they make the blog circuit.

Surrendering to Him,

Eileen

10 comments:

Katie Ganshert said...

Happy Canada Day!! Quite a pivotal moment in Thorugh the Storm revolves arounnd the United States' Independence Day. :)

Jeanette Levellie said...

Eileen: Happy
Canada Day, and happy times with your family!
I am ashamed to say I do not know the history behind this day for you. Am I right in assuming it is the day you celebrate your independence from Britian? Please post a little history for us.
Thanks,
Jen

Georgiana Daniels said...

Happy Canada Day! Do you celebrate with parades and hot dogs too? Hope you get great fodder ;)

Jeannie Campbell, LMFT said...

way cool on the stickie notes! i'll def. have to use that later, so i bookmarked the page. :)

happy canada day! o canada!

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Happy Canada Day! Here's hoping for great ideas for a scene!

Susan R. Mills said...

Hope you have a great day! Thanks for stopping by and joining my blog.

Jessica Nelson said...

I mention holidays in mine, but don't actually have a holiday scene.
Hope you all have fun!

Cindy R. Wilson said...

Happy Canada Day! In my WIP, I'm approaching summer. It would be fun to talk about the 4th of July! Earlier in the series I had a Christmas scene where two big things happened. It was fun! Have a wonderful holiday with your family.

Jody Hedlund said...

Have a wonderful holiday! It's raining over the border here in Michigan! I'm hoping it will clear out in time for our Sat. party! Hope you get some interesting ideas for your book!

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Thanks all for stopping by. We got rained out this afternoon at the fair, but now the sun has come out again. Hopefully it'll stay rain-free for the fireworks tonight.

We don't tend to have parades for our Canada Celebrations, but fairs with cotton candy, lots of food and games take place in every majory city mostly.

Jeanette, you asked what Canada Day represents for us Canadians. Here's what google has to say:

"Canada Day formerly Dominion Day, is Canada's national holiday, marking the establishment of Canada as new federation with its own constitution on July 1, 1867. It is a federal holiday generally celebrated on July 1 annually by all provincial governments and most businesses across the country."

Our independence from Britain came much later. I still remember singing God Save the Queen when I was in public school. So it came much, much later. Honestly, I'm not that old, even though some days I feel like I might be.