Friday, May 15, 2009

A Day to Match my Mood

It's a bright sunny day, and despite waking up to a waterfall from our overflowing pool, the excitement from yesterday continues to spill over into this magnificent wedding day for my niece, Marlene. (Yes, I turned the hose off immediately after wading through the sopping grass. Someone forgot to check the pool water level before dosing into slumber last night. Wonder why?)

I really hope the weather stays this beautiful all day for Marlene and any outdoor pictures that get snapped. We'll be on the road hopefully by 10:00 a.m. today. Prayers for travelling mercies and lots of good family time to follow would be appreciated.

The revisions are done on my Genesis finalist entry. Hubby acted as editor in chief, and believe it or not, he came up with the same typo's and minor issues that I did after carefully weighing which changes to make in such a short time available to really scrutinize my options.

I discovered once again that storytelling is subjective. Like I'm not fully aware of that by this stage already. But, still, it surprised me how some people want the expected, what I would consider bordering on cliche even. Some of the suggestions offered by one judge really did make me take pause, and for a quick second I thought, "Yes, I can do that." Then I realized why I could do that so easily. Because it's been done so many times before in so many books and movies that I've enjoyed. Would it make my piece better, though, by simulating numerous storyteller styles already out there? No. I don't think so. So those suggestions I let slide. The interest of time helped, too.

Did I make the right choice? Not for that judge, I'm sure. But I did for me and my story style. And that's what I'm most proud of. It's taken me near seven years to discern what NOT to alter upon a more experienced writer's suggestion. Yes, Lord, I'm finally gaining confidence in the words and scenes You've blessed my creative mind with. I do believe what I changed and didn't is pleasing to Him. And that's my goal.

And with that, I pray you all have a wonderful weekend ahead, and thank you all for sharing so freely and enthusiastically in my joy yesterday afternoon. I'll be smiling broadly for Marlene and Vishal today, because of not one, but two wonderful things on my mind.


Surrendering to Him,

Eileen

12 comments:

Katie Ganshert said...

You are the epitome of class and grace, Eileen. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I can see God working through you. Have a blessed and joyful day!

Jessica Nelson said...

Woohoo! Go you, Eileen! :-)
Have a wonderful day at the wedding and I hope this whole week matches your glowing mood. :-)

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Oh, Katie, you are so gracious to say that! Thank you!

Jessica, Thanks for the best wishes. I'm really getting pumped to finish this ms again. I tell you, this writing journey gives me whiplash.

Have a great weekend you two!

Terri Tiffany said...

Enjoy the wedding!!! Have fun!

Jill Kemerer said...

Oh, have a wonderful time at the wedding! And I'm so excited for you! It's difficult to know what advice is accurate, isn't it? I'm much better about it now too.

Cindy R. Wilson said...

Have a fabulous time at the wedding and I'll send prayers your way!

Jeanette Levellie said...

Eileen:
What a great attitude you have about your writing; what security in HIM who gave you the gift!

That's great that you finished your edit before the wedding!
Have a beautiful day; i'm praying...
Jen

Lily Whalen said...

Have a wonderful time at the wedding, Eileen. As for the edits, I'm confident you made the right choice for you. Sometimes we can go along with suggested changes to the point where we don't like the result. It's definitely good to "think" before you "do".

Tana said...

Praying for traveling mercies! I'm so thrilled for you words cannot express.

Erica Vetsch said...

Eileen, I'm still so excited for you. Treasure that glow of happiness over finaling, and don't sweat the quick edits. I'm sure they're great.

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

I love your surrendered heart and I know God does too! I am sure you did the right thing in following your heart in the edits. Keep true to your story! God bless you on this beautiful day!

Keli Gwyn said...

I'm glad you got the edits done and trusted your voice. I hope the wedding was wonderful.