Friday, January 23, 2009

Snowbound in Fog

Okay, I have no idea where that title came from, other than that I woke up to a foggy day that also has the ground covered in more than a foot of snow.

So, what should I blog about today? Synopsis writing? It's a sad day when you take the time to blog about the horrendous duty of writing a synopsis. Regardless, that is on my writing agenda for today. I need to write a one-page synopsis for the current wip I'm struggling through. I've reached 4,500 words and need some clear direction. My wonderful hubby joined me on the bed last night (no, not for that, the girls were home, and with a friend visiting, too), to help me brainstorm some ideas of where this story needs to go. It's amazing how many of his suggestions came across as cliches to me. What does that mean, I wonder? He doesn't read enough romances? Needs a boost of creativity in his math-oriented brain? Probably both.

The title of my current wip is The Unlikely One, and you can read a snippet from it in an older post by clicking here . Although I've edited it since, of course. I never seem to stop the internal editor from working overdrive, even on stories I completed more than four years ago. The hazard of being an amateur writer.

Anyway, here's a link for some good tips that I use when working on a synopsis. http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/snowflake.php Randy Ingermanson's Snowflake Method is great for much more than synopsis writing, but it certainly works for discovering the high-points of your story worth including in your synopsis. Hope it helps you, and me today!

Blessings,

Eileen

1 comment:

Jessica Nelson said...

Hi Eileen,
I gave your blog an award. :-) Good luck with that synopsis!