Friday, May 30, 2008

Lilacs, Tucker, and Vocabulary Enhancement


Aren't lilacs beautiful?

They last such a short while around here that you have to take the time to enjoy them while they are in bloom. My flowers opened up earlier this week and so I cut several off my light and dark purple trees (from the bushes you see in the above photo) and another from my white lilac tree that is in our backyard. I bunched them together in a vase and placed them on our kitchen island. We've been enjoying their awesome aroma and beauty ever since.

I don't recall having so many flowers last year, I wonder if lilacs actually took to our unusually difficult and long winter, unlike many roses and weaker plants that didn't survive this past one. In any case, I plan to enjoy the vast blooms by bringing a fresh supply in often and placing them in several of our rooms to aromatize the area. I just love their scent.

Tucker update: Tucker was doing awesome until we went for his bandage change yesterday. I have no idea why, but he could not settle after having the new bandage put on. I tried to comfort him all afternoon at home and then decided to call the OVC (Ontario Veterinary Clinic) about it. His doctor requested to take a look and so when hubby came home we made the fifty minute trek back to the small animal hospital where they removed the new splint and put yet another new one on only to have him squealing and yelping from discomfort again.

Deja vu all over again from when he initially fell down the stairs.

They administered what the vet called a "happy" drug to calm him down and basically knock him out for a few hours. But by the time the girls got home from the barn he was whining again and very uncomfortable. We had a rough night with him and although he's moving around this morning, and sometimes appears to be our old Tucker with his tale wagging and standing up walking on his hind legs energetically, occasionally he yelps and squeals for no apparent reason. Prayers would be greatly appreciated! I know I keep sending mine up for him to be comfortable and for the procedure to work so that he can use his leg once again in the near future.

Vocabulary Enhancement Word for this week: Mercurial

mer·cu·ri·al [mer-kyoor-ee-uhl]

–adjective 1. changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic: a mercurial nature.
2. animated; lively; sprightly; quick-witted.
3. pertaining to, containing, or caused by the metal mercury.
4. (initial capital letter) of or pertaining to the god Mercury.
5. (initial capital letter) of or pertaining to the planet Mercury.
–noun 6. Pharmacology. a preparation of mercury used as a drug.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1350–1400; ME <>

So, considering my family's experience with Tucker as of late, my sentence for mercurial will be:


Tucker's mercurial behavior has us quite concerned.
Be sure to check out my Current Giveaways, links are available to the appropriate posts on the top of the left-hand side bar. Comment away and Good Luck to everyone! And remember, commenting in any of my posts also enters you into my CATY Giveaway drawing each month! My way of saying thank you for stopping by.

Blessings and may your weekend be a family-enriching time,

Eileen


1 comment:

jess said...

Pretty word. Good job finding one that we could conceivably put in our writing.