Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Fall Kitchens

I know I've said it before that I love all seasons and that I'm always ready for the next by the time it rolls around. But one of my favourite parts of fall is the harvest. And so I have to share this recipe with you all, as it just tastes of fall to me.

As you work away at whatever you've got on your chore list this fall, I hope you'll brighten your day and scent your home with this baked Apple Torte. It's easy to put together, but looks and tastes like a well-practiced chef created it. Trust me, I'm not one of those, so if I can create this and my whole family love it, so can you!

Bavarian Apple Torte  

Crust:
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour

Filling:
1 pkg (250 g) Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg, at room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla

Topping:
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 cups peeled sliced crisp apples
1/4 cup sliced almonds

Crust: Combine butter, sugar and vanilla. Blend in flour. Spread dough on bottom and 1-inch up sides of a 9-inch springform pan. I use a pie pan and that works well too! Note: If you haven't planned ahead to get things to room temperature, a few seconds in the microwave does wonders!

Filling: Beat cream cheese and sugar until well blended. This takes a bit, but make sure you get it good and smooth. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Spread evenly over the crust.

Topping: Combine sugar and cinnamon. Toss apples in sugar mixture. Place in pinwheel pattern over cream cheese layer. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 425 F for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375 F and continue baking 25 minutes longer. Cool on wire rack. Chill 3 hours before serving.

Serves: 8 (or if you're watching your delicate figure, it could easily serve 16)
Preparation time: 20 minutes (do it while pondering a plot issue to multi-task)
Baking time: 35 minutes (and in this fall air, it nicely helps to heat your home and scent it all in one)

Enjoy!

Surrendering to Him,

Eileen

6 comments:

Jessica Nelson said...

Mmmm, that sounds delicious! I'm almost tempted to use my kitchen! lol Thanks Eileen.

Jessica R. Patch said...

Holy Crow, that looks good! I get the baking bug during fall too. I love the smells of cinnamon, apple, and pumpkin. Yesterday, I made pumpkin cookies, very cake-like and delish!
Thanks for sharing. :)

Sarah Forgrave said...

Oh wow, This looks soooo good, Eileen! I love apples this time of year...so crisp and fresh! I've been gobbling them up. :)

Sandra Orchard said...

Ooh, I've got to try this. I've never had apple with cream cheese before. Thanks!

Erica Vetsch said...

MMM! I bet this makes a fall kitchen smell amazing!

Loree Huebner said...

YUM! I love cooking with apples. I'm going to make this on Saturday when my daughter is home. It sounds soooo delish.

Thanks for the recipe.