Thursday, June 16, 2011

Preparing for Conference

It's starting to feel a lot like Conference...

And I'm getting excited with it being just over three months away now. Seriously, when you get to be my age, three months gets swept up like a feather in a tornado.

So now I'm tackling the "what to do" list to prepare for the auspicious ACFW Writer's Conference to be held in St. Louis this year. (The pic here is me and blogging buddings at the 2009 ACFW Writer's Conference in Denver, Colorado during the awards ceremony night.) It's such a great time to meet up with people in person that you normally only interact with in cyber land. There's nothing like it for socializing and learning with like-minded friends. I'm booked. Are you?

To prepare, I'm working on:



  • Putting the shine on "chosen" story for this year's conference. (Which is being a real pill to do for some reason. Prayers are always welcome!)

  • Checking my business card stock. (You'll want to pass these out to all the wonderful people you meet that you'll want to keep in touch with thereafter.)

  • Creating a one-sheet for said "chosen" story.

  • Working on my elevator pitch.

  • Doing self-confidence building as I tend to lack in this area.

  • Lots of praying for conference to be all God wants it to be for all attendees.

  • Reviewing pics from last conference so I don't take all the same clothes again this year.

  • Battling those added pounds so I can afford to go to conference. Conference, accommodation, and flight is expensive enough, a new wardrobe for it isn't in the budget and I can't live in sweats while there! :( I've really come to appreciate elastic waste bands the last while, sadly!)

So that's my list so far. Did I forget anything? If so, please share so I'm not rushing last minute to get it done.


I sure hope to see many of you in St. Louis in September. It truly is an amazing conference for writers to grow in their craft and interact with like-minded people. If you're teetering about whether or not to attend, spend time in prayer and ask previous attendees questions to help you decide. I hope it turns out to be your year to attend!


Till next time, may writing flow smoothly for you, and may decision making come easy!

Surrendering to Him,
Eileen

20 comments:

Warren Baldwin said...

Yes, 3 months will pass by pretty quickly. Looks like a great trip/conference ahead. Hope the planning and work goes well.

Katie Ganshert said...

Can't wait to see you again!!

Wendy Paine Miller said...

Looking forward to meeting you! Great pic.!
~ Wendy

Mary Aalgaard said...

Lovely blessing at the end. The conference sounds delightful. I'd love to meet blog friends in real life. I've been walking every morning with a friend. It helps to off-set what I call "Ice cream" season.
Thanks for connecting with me!
Cheers!

Lacie Nezbeth said...

This year will be my first conference. Looking forward to meeting everyone in St. Louis. Man, that list looks long and intimidating, though. :)

Jeanette Levellie said...

I love it that you not only pray for yourself but all the other attendees. This convicted me that I need to do the same. Thanks for the idea!

I just started on my elevator pitch yesterday for the conf I'm attending in August. I hope I can shorten it, since I'll be pitching two books. I wonder if they'll let you go up and down twice if you have two?

Linda Glaz said...

Eileen, I know what you mean, one blink of the eyes and it will be here.

Loree Huebner said...

I've been thinking about it...seriously. I'll take your advice and pray on it. I would love to meet you and others in person! How awesome!

Patti said...

Sounds like your getting yourself well prepared. Good luck with it all.

Terri Tiffany said...

I wish wish wish I could go and meet you all!

Susan Anne Mason said...

So excited to be going to my first big conference! Glad you'll be there, too!

Procrastination Free Living said...

Hello Eileen.. I empress because you make you a list of your everyday work... keep it up!!! more power...

Donna K. Weaver said...

Have fun at your conference. I've hesitated joining RWA because I'm not into the erotic romance or the erotica thing. And even contemporary is way too explicit. I'm excited to find a writer with a like mind.

Found you through Elana Johnson's blog.

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Eileen -

I'll be attending the Greater Philadelphia Christian Writers Conference in August. One of my blogging friends, Jeanette Levellie, and I will meet for the first time in person.

Like you, I'm preparing for editor/agent meetings. Although I get five appointments, they require us to choose 10 possible meetings. I won't know who I'll be seeing until I get there, which means I have to prepare for all 10 of them. Talk about stress!

Have a wonderful time at ACFW.

Blessings,
Susan :)

Anita said...

How exciting! I look forward to the day when I can attend a writing or bloggers conference. I'm patient because when the time is right, I'll know it, and I'll get the most out of it.

I like your "working on" list. It appears that you've gotten it all in. The last two bullets are funny.

Nice picture of you and the girls. :)

Laura Frantz said...

Eileen, Liking those elastic waist bands with you;) I'm so glad you'll be there as I'm going to. It's always a blessed, fun time and I learn so much. Love this post. Am praying for you and others about appointments and confidence and everything. Been there, done that:)

Margo Berendsen said...

I have my first conference in almost 10 years coming up this fall, too (one a little closer to home - they do get rather pricey!) I took off the 10 years to have my four beautiful girls, and am finally getting back into the professional swing of things. I have heard lots of great conference tips including the elevator pitch, but what is a one sheet? Must google that one...

I love how you are preparing for the conference with prayer - not just for yourself but all the attendees!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh, I know what you mean! I was gearing up for the conference I just got back from months ago too!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Sounds like a fun conference.

Robyn Campbell said...

Hey, I know those bloggers. Great pic. I hope to someday meet you all. Even though I don't write in your genre, I wanna come to the conference anyway. <3