Friday, September 18, 2009

Love Is...





The Opposite of Distance.







Many of those who regularly read this blog are away from dear ones this week, same as myself, so I thought this a fitting Love Is topic. How do we stay close to our loved ones when we're physically hours away from them?

There's an old phrase that goes "Distance makes the heart grow fonder." That's as much of that phrase as I knew for a very long time...until I met my husband, that is. I remember offering this quote to him way back as I headed to Toronto for a work term while he was set to stay in Waterloo for his final stretch of courses to get his BMath. My dear boyfriend's response back then was, "You know Eileen, that's only half the quote. It ends: for want of another."

"Distance makes the heart grow fonder for want of another."

Seriously, that is totally not want I wanted to hear while saying goodbye!

But there is amazing truth to it, too. I'm happy to report that during that four month stretch, we saw each other every weekend, and I don't think there was a week day that went by that we didn't talk on the phone either. Some might think that's overkill, but for us, it's what we needed, and our relationship grew with all those interactions.

So as I go about the busy ACFW Conference schedule, my family, hubby and daughters will not only be near to me in heart, but I'll be touching base at home each day either with a phone call, text messaging, emailing, or instant messaging when we can all connect at the same time even with the time zone difference. Because that's what works best for my family--daily contact.

When you're apart from your loved ones, do you feel the need to connect in some way? Do any of your loved ones feel that need? If so, I encourage you to find a way to do just that, connect with one another.


Surrendering to Him,

Eileen

8 comments:

Tabitha Bird said...

beautiful post. Connection is so important when we are away from loved ones. I hope all those who are away are enjoying themselves no end :)

Diane said...

I never knew the whole quote either. Totally changes the ending there. :O)

Stephanie Faris said...

My boyfriend may be taking a job that requires him to travel a couple of days a week every week, so it will definitely be tough. But at the beginning of our relationship he was living about 3 hours away and we only saw each other on the weekends, so I've only gotten used to seeing him every night in the past year. He had to go away for a couple of days last week and it was weird sleeping alone, but it wasn't as bad as I'd imagined. It gave me some "me" time, which I desperately need!

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Hi, Eileen!

I'm not a phone person, so email is the best way I stay connected--especially when I'm overseas. Skype is wonderful, but sometimes it is inconvenient as well. I am so thankful for email!

Susan R. Mills said...

I always keep in touch when I'm away. I would be far too homesick if I didn't. Hope you are having a great time at the conference!

Susan Anne Mason said...

Hey Eileen,

Do I detect a small note of homesickness?

Hope your having an amazing time. Thanks for posting on my blog. I will try to keep it up more often!

You can always email me at sbmason@sympatico.ca. I am definitely not a telephone person, but I check my email a lot! (I'm not that great at checking Facebook either.)

Take care!

Sue

PS. We have a mutual cyber-friend. Keli Gwyn was a GH finalist with me and we're part of the Pixie Chicks! Awesome girl! It'd be great to all meet someday. In the meantime, enjoy all the new people at the conference.

Lily Whalen said...

And I always thought it was "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." The problem for me was the diametrically opposed, "Out of sight, out of mind." :)

Lidiya Lastur said...

I did not know that that's the end of that quote-how sad!!!!
i love the first half though!
My husband is a photographer and sometimes he goes to other states to photograph weddings etc, so for at least 3 days i'm home alone... and that makes me love him more and more. We do talk on the phone as much as possible and text too.