Friday, October 17, 2008

Creativity--Where does it come from?

This is a picture of my eldest daughter's recent art project. Though it's difficult to see in the photo, it's a three-dimensional depiction of the front of an old church. To build it up, she cut small paper tubes for the pillars, made use of broken glass, rolled paper for the framing, a cement type compound for the doors, and tinted DecoArt Snow for the steps and crown-molding of the pillars. It just fascinates me to look at it, and to feel the different textures she's incorporated into it.

Alisha has always been a well-rounded student, but I always thought she tended more toward the maths and sciences, like both her parents, but I have to wonder now. Seeing how engrossed she was while working on this project, and how quickly she decided which medium to use for the next portion, I now wonder if we have an architect or artsy of some kind budding within our home.

Children have a way of making the future seem so exciting? Seriously, if I'm bored with my life, or just simply procrastinating while waiting for the next big scene to present itself for my wip (that's work in progress), all I have to do is think of my three daughters, and wonder what vocation they'll choose, or if it will be several for each of them. What a great way to brainstorm for your characters, too. Perhaps I just have to think of them as my babies, and let my imagination run wild like I do for my girls' future.

One big problem with that, I refuse to dream up nasty conflict for my daughters. A sure sign of a dud story, but makes for a happy dream life for my girls.

Children can be an inspiration for so many things. So I say, let's celebrate them, and all they accomplish while discovering themselves. A blessing like no other!

_________________________________________________________________

The word of the week is back, and today it's brought to you by Dictionary.com :

expeditious \ek-spuh-DISH-uhs\, adjective:Characterized by or acting with speed and efficiency.

His problem was to get from Lookout Valley to Chattanooga Valley in the most expeditious way possible.-- Ulysses S. Grant, Personal Memoirs

The criminal may of course use some short-term act of violence to 'terrorize' his victim, such as waving a gun in the face of a bank clerk during a robbery in order to ensure the clerk's expeditious compliance.-- Bruce Hoffman, Inside Terrorism


Expeditious is derived from Latin expeditus, "unshackled, unimpeded, ready for action," from expedire, "to free (one's feet) from a snare; hence, to get out, to set free, to get ready for action," from ex-, "out of" + pes, ped-, "foot."

__________________________________________________________________



May the weekend bring you a surprise or two!


Blessings,
Eileen





69 days left to reflect and celebrate our Saviour's birth.

4 comments:

Jessica Nelson said...

I agree about kids being good fodder for the imagination. There's so many possibilities :-)
It's a great piece, really! I like it a lot and def. think she has talent.

Pamela J said...

Great picture! I LOVE it when the children blossom with their God-given talents!
Pam Williams

Winona Cross said...

Eileen--I wish I knew how old your daughter is, this is an amazing project. It makes me want to walk up to the door and just go inside.

My only creativity comes with words. I admire those with artistic and musical talent.

Our children are our greatest works in progress. And, it doesn't end when they're grown and away. My sons, daughter-in-law, and grandbaby are the blessings to my soul.

Very nice blog.

Winona
http://winonacross.blogspot.com

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Thanks, Ladies!

Alisha is in grade ten. It's interesting that she picked the art class only because she is interested in the photography class that needs this course as a prerequisite.

She certainly is showing talent, I believe, even if I am prejudiced.