Wednesday, February 9, 2011

ACFW Genesis Contest Anyone?

Hello, All:

It's been awhile since hanging out in blogosphere. How you regulars continue so faithfully boggles my mind, but I'm so glad many of you do find the time and energy for it still!

I've been diligently working on spiffing up my entry for the Genesis contest this year. Since joining ACFW, I think that was about seven years ago, last year was the first year that I can remember sitting out. I don't want that to become a trend, so I'm definitely entering one this year. And I'm praying for some very helpful critiques to come to me from the wonderful judges ACFW attracts.

I too will be a judge, I hope, this year. At least I sent my reply in as to which categories I would be willing to work on this year. Sadly, I had to opt out of my most favourite category of all, Contemporary Romance, since I'll be entering a piece into it. But I'm sure that I'll be enjoying the reads of whatever category entries come my way in March, as I did last year, too. ACFW has an amazing group of talented writers and I so look forward to being a fair, and hopefully helpful judge once more.

So, how many of you are entering, or have entered already this year? What would you consider to be the most helpful information to receive from a first round judge on your entries?


Surrendering to Him,

Eileen

19 comments:

Keli Gwyn said...

I never entered the Genesis, although I wish I had. I did enter LOTS of RWA-sponsored contests. I received a wealth of helpful feedback, which helped me learn where my weaknesses lie.

I wish you well on your Genesis entry.

Katie Ganshert said...

Eileen - hey girl! Nice to see your face pop up in my dashboard. :) I can't enter this year, since I got a contract. I hope you get excellent feedback and do super well!

Laura Frantz said...

So good to have you back, Eileen! I'll never forget our van ride together at ACFW Denver:) Praying things are going well for you in every respect. You've been on my mind and heart!

Diane said...

I'm not a romance writer but good luck in judging. It would be hard for me to be partial. :O)

Erica Vetsch said...

Yay! So happy to see you pop up in my blogroll!

You and I are on the same wavelength re posting about the Genesis today.

I'm coordinating again this year, the YA category.

Lillian Robinson said...

Thanks for the reminder... I need to start thinking about entering these things. The feedback would be priceless!

Tamika: said...

Hi Eileen! I'm entering this year for the first time. My primary goal is to get all the feedback, from a professional stand point I'd like to know how I rate.

Happy writing!

Sheila Deeth said...

I've never entered and probably won't this year. But thanks for the reminder. Feedback would always be good, I think...

Cindy R. Wilson said...

Yes! I'm entering this year, though my synopsis is still giving me problems. So, I guess having a critique or any feedback on that will be wonderful. And plus, I'm sending in a piece I'm super excited about so I am very excited to get feedback from a few people to see if it all coincides.

So great to see you post and that would be great if you get to judge for the contest!

Sarah Forgrave said...

Welcome back, Eileen! I'm not entering this year, but I think I'll be a first-round judge too.

Hope to see you around here more often! :)

Jessica Nelson said...

I'm seriously thinking of entering...but not sure yet. That one page synopsis is a real deterrent for me. But...I'm probably just being lazy. LOL

It's so good to see you "out and about!"

:-)

Sherrinda Ketchersid said...

Wow! It's great to hear from you again! I've been working on my entry too, but not feeling all that great about it yet. I have another week or so....:)

I love it when judges are specific and say why they think things should be different. It helps to "see" instead of just wonder what the judge meant. That's been my experience.

Tana said...

Eileen! I've missed you!!!! I can't wait to see your bright smile around the blogosphere again! =)

T. Anne

Jennifer Shirk said...

Hey, girl!

Good luck with that contest entry!! I adore category romance too.

Carla Gade said...

I've never entered the Genesis, but respect all of you who have and will. I wish you well Eileen. It's so good to see you!

Anita said...

I read some of the comments and find it exciting that you and some of the others have such an outlet for your craft.
Continued blessings!

Kara said...

So happy to see a post from you! I'm not ready to enter this year, but I'm hoping next year will be my first:)Good luck to you!

Susan Anne Mason said...

Hi Eileen,

Good to see you in cyber space again! I entered the Genesis for the first time ever (actually joined ACFW too!) so I'm really looking forward to some crucial feedback on my stories.

Best of luck!

Sue

Terri Tiffany said...

It was so nice to see an email from you:) You are missed! Yes, I entered this year--might as well try:)