Monday, January 19, 2009

A Season of Frustration

That's what I've been in ever since trying to resume a writing schedule in this new year. It dawned on my today why I keep banging my head against the wall with words that won't flow, and a plot that won't move.

Doubt.

That's it. I keep doubting myself. But why?

Why should I doubt my writing abilities when this is my time to learn, learn, learn? I'm working through a writing book called Don't Sabotage Your Submission by Chris Roerden and with every chapter I read I find myself wallowing in self-pity. I'm letting my come-to-light inadequacies drown my writing muse--a very slow, frustrating, and painful torture it is for me. I'm pretty sure this isn't what the author had in mind when creating this book to help writers succeed. But it's sure giving me a reality check on how high I still have to climb.

I still have much to master. And I need to stop grieving over this fact, and start working on applying this newfound knowledge.



So, if you're looking for a book that pushes you to recognize your less-than-stellar story-telling abilities, and offers sound direction, then I recommend Don't Sabotage Your Submission by Chris Roerden. A word of warning, though, take those rosy-coloured glasses off before you get a third of the way through. There are nuggets, or rather clues, in this book that may just steer you in the same unwanted direction I find myself in. Performing the enormous tasks of REWRITING, REWRITING, REWRITING, all over again.

But this is all good. Because this is my time to LEARN AND APPLY!

Blessings,

Eileen

4 comments:

Jessica Nelson said...

But you sound like you're really serious about being the best possible, which is what it takes most of the time to succeed in this biz.
I totally know what you're going through. I feel doubt quite often. :-)

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Thanks, Jessica. I'm trying to stay positive, and unrushed. I keep telling myself that there's no deadline now, so I better enjoy it and just keep learning and practicing.

jess said...

Keep going! The beginning of your story still sticks in my mind, like I've read it in a bookstore or on Look Inside This Book on Amazon, and I'll feel like I need to finish reading it--then I remember it's not even written, much less published. *SIGH*
By the way, have you ever read the Love Inspired book "Hosea's Bride?" It's a similar story, but I liked your characters better (so far, anyway.)

Eileen Astels Watson said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Jess! "Hosea's Bride?" is that an older release? I'll have to see if it's still available? Might help me finish this story.