Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Does a Clean House go with Writing?

I have to ask: How does a writer with a family keep their house clean? Is it a sin to have a messy house, if you're busy with other matters you believe are His will?

If it is, then I think I'm getting mixed signals on my call to write. Because I can't seem to consistently write and keep a tidy and clean house. If I attempt to keep the housework up, then I never seem to get to my writing needs, and if I put my attention toward writing, then there's never time to clean and organize before the next wave of furry comes running through my doors--usually at 3:20 when the bus drops them off.

Oh, how amazing it would be to write in a home that was tidy for the majority of the time.

I looked up 'clean' in my Bible's concordance. There are 25 references to the word and varying forms of it. Of them, I found one that referred to cleaning items, and interestingly enough it placed it in low importance compared to keeping a clean heart, etc. Here it is: Mt. 23:25 Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence.
But then I think of how our body is a temple and to keep it strong and healthy for God to use accordingly we must protect ourselves from falling ill where possible. Germs, etc. from a messy house, especially one with pets, as mine is, is therefore a concern.

So, here I am again, wondering how I can balance these two needs? If I'm called to write and to keep my house in order, how do I manage to do both satisfactorily? I'm open to guidance--anyone feel called to help?

Pressing onward,

Eileen

No comments: